Monday, September 12, 2005

Who I'm is

I am one of the Nation. I am living in hostile territory now, as I vowed to do when I left Pittsburgh at the age of 18 in 1988 (Also known as the dark ages).

I left Pittsburgh behind, but took my love for the Steelers with me. That isn't really an option for Pittsburgh natives, especially in my age group. The Steelers as the world knows them was born right before I was, with the hiring of Chuck Noll in 1969. Terry Bradshaw's first training camp coincided with my first months on the earth. Franco Harris plucked victory from the shoulder Pads of Jack Tatum when I was familiarizng myself with the Potty. I remember an indepth conversation with Jack Wagner in Children's Hospital during their fund-raising drive when I was in kindergarten spending the Christmas season in the Hospital.


As they grew and matured and dominated the NFL in the dawn of the 80's, so did I. It was in 1983 that I found Jesus as my personal Savior and began my eternal walk with him. As the city foundered through the 80s courtesy of the relentless march of time and progress with a crushing lead block courtesy of Reaganomics, so did my Steelers, and for that matter so did I culminating in a humilating and painful exit from college.

As the Noll Era ended and The Hour of Cowher Power began, I relocated first to California and then to Maryland, learning to get my Steelers information the best way I could. This was before the Internet and Direct TV and the like, so information was limited. As the Steelers returned to power, so returned my strength to walk with God in better spirit and truth.

I could go on and on...and I will at a later date.

Suffice it to say my history with the Steelers is long, intimate, ongoing and very personal.

TWO things keep me tied to Pittsburgh, Family and the Steelers.


In many ways...they are the same to me.

In the Family that is the ChristianSteelerNation, I am the Hometown Kid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home