Thursday, September 15, 2005

Who Am I? Why Am I Here?

I don't think that I have ever laughed out loud as I did during the 1992 Vice Presidential Debate when Admiral Stockdale uttered the words, "Who am I? Why am I here?" It was humorous because he was not a politician, relatively unknown, and yet he was in the political spotlight. The question, however, is actually quite profound. Who am I? Why am I here?” This questions drives philosophers to think and minstrels to sing, each inquiring about that one thing: “Who am I and why am I here?” To answer that question we must look to God. David inquired of God, “When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have ordained; What is man that you take thought of him, and the son of man that you care for him?” (Ps. 8:3-4) Who am I and why am I here?

I am a child of the Living King. Before any other descriptor I am a child of God. Everything else is an adjective - American, Black, man - I am a Christian, and I am unashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am an evangelist, an apologist, a student at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, unemployed at the moment, and wholly dependent upon the grace of God.

Who am I?

I am a refugee from the lair of Lions' fans. I was born and raised in Detroit, but I learned early in life (circa 1979) that the Lions were not about winning championships. This was around the time that I developed a visceral loathing for the Dallas Cowboys who began calling themselves America's Team, and since the Steelers were consistently beating the Cowboys I jumped on the Steeler bandwagon and never jumped off.

But why am I here?

I am here because of who I am. I am a Christian. I am a Steeler fan. And if you're reading this then that probably applies to you too. Welcome home.

2 Comments:

Blogger Timothy said...

And the third question would be: Where am I going?

BTW, you should turn on word verification for comments, which will keep spammers from commenting (like above).

Thursday, September 15, 2005 7:19:00 PM  
Blogger Athanasius said...

RE: Third Question

That is true, but the answer is that my destination is secured. And I'll eliminate anonymous commenting - word verification can get a bit tedious with the volume that we're expecting. If the Spam still gets too bad then we'll go to word verification anyway. Thanks and God bless.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 11:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home