Monday, September 19, 2005

Who's Your Favorite Steeler?

Personally, I'm a bit torn. The obvious favorite is Big Ben, but I usually prefer to go against the flow like a naked bootleg. My favorite offensive player would be Hines Ward (the other obvious favorite). He embodies the blue-collar mentality and toughness that has exemplified the Steelers throughout the ages. Hines Ward is everything that is good and right about the Steelers - dedicated to the team, tireless in his work ethic, relentless on run plays, and unstoppable on pass plays. I actually prefer to watch him on runs than on passes - there is nothing more satisfying than watching Hines decleat a 300 lb. lineman, and he does it all the time. He's worth every penny that the Steelers are paying him and then some.

On defense - there are so many to choose from - but I would have to say that Troy Polamalu is rapidly becoming my favorite. The man plays every position on the field, from Safety to Cornerback to Linebacker to Defensive Tackle - I saw him line up and play each of those positions Sunday - and he's probably Dick LeBeau's favorite defensive player too. Watching him come diving at some unfortunate victim who happens to be holding the ball is cathartic. In fact, both in flying through the air and in his looks Troy reminds me of one of my favorite wrestlers from back in the day - Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka. I mean they could pass for kin, seriously. It might even be worth calling Tom Joyner for one of his "Are you my daddy?" segments.

So those are my two favorite current Steelers - Hines Ward and Troy Polamalu. Who are your favorite offense and defensive players?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home