Wednesday, November 30, 2005

A Bittersweet View from Texas

You do not know this, but Tony Dungy was my favorite Steeler growing up. Not so much because of what he did ON the field, but because of what I learned about him as he went on to be a coach.

When Chuck Noll retired In 1991, I was a leading advocate for Tony Dungy, who had been a leading Defensive Coordinator for a long time by this point, to replace him. As you well know, that did not happen and I am satisfied with the way things have turned out. Both for the Steelers and for him.

My view on Monday night's game is, as I always like to say, grounded in objectivity. While I pledge eternal allegiance to the Steelers, I am a realist who doesn't let my personal allegiances cloud what I know I saw.

The best team won on Monday. Yes, mistakes were made, but even without those mistakes, Indianapolis had plenty to keep the Steelers at bay. Are the Steelers good enough to beat the Colts? Yes. But more often than not, they won't. Once upon a time, the Steelers matched up favorably with the Colts. Those days are gone.

The defense you see should look familiar. It is a VERY similar Defense to the Defense that Jon Gruden rode to his Super Bowl championship in Tampa. Lightning fast and unforgiving. Quick to the ball and aggressive. It IS a championship caliber defense, and it complements the offense nicely.

Things do not bode well for the Steelers THIS year. The road to Super Bowl Xtra Large will clearly run through a city with less than Three Rivers.

Hopefully it won't also be INDOORS.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Egel Nest said...

I found your blog by clicking "next blog" as I sometimes do.

I feel bad for your steelers...I think you will find relief when the colts lose 2 of their remaining 5 games...as I see it. :)

My surprising Chicago Bears are very pleasing this year! What a defense!

Take care!

Bradley
The Egel Nest

Thursday, December 01, 2005 8:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home